Sunday, May 13, 2012

H ooray Avocado!

I have recently started a love affair with avocado. I don't know that I had ever eaten it before a couple years ago, and now I can't get enough of it. I haven't cooked with it that much at home because Michael doesn't really like it, so I usually get my fix when we're out to eat. However, since he was out of town this week, I had the chance to pick a couple recipes that included this yummy fruit (I thought it was a veggie, but I was wrong-o). It can be tricky because it goes bad pretty quickly once you cut into it, but it's worth it. 


So, my first avocado adventure was really a double-goodie for me because it also included shrimp, which Michael also doesn't eat. I had never before attempted to cook shrimp, but I happily discovered it's not too difficult. I followed this recipe for Shrimp and Avocado Tostadas. I have to admit that I was pretty proud of myself for taking the time to make these. I had come home from a long day at work and really just wanted to crash on the couch, but forced myself into the kitchen to get cookin'. It was worth the effort. Other than cooking the shrimp, these weren't very time-consuming as there's only a few ingredients. They were very light and would be a great meal during the warm summer months. Plus they were pretty :)



I used flour tortillas instead of corn, mainly because corn tortillas only seem to be sold a million to a pack. Other than that, I stuck to the recipe. I enjoyed these quite a bit. I don't know that they are something I'd make frequently, but yes, I'd try them again. There was something about the flavor I didn't think blended perfectly...maybe because the few ingredients are all fairly potent in their own right. They were tasty though and good for an evening when you're not starving. 

Rating: 3.5 

Side note: 99% of the time, I listen to music when I cook. It helps me get in the zone. Since I love music, I'll share what's on my iPod too in case anyone's looking for new music.

Music Selection: Ray LaMontagne's God Willin' & The Creek Don't Rise

No comments:

Post a Comment