Sunday, May 13, 2012

Weekend Comforts

This weekend, I decided to make a couple of my favorites: chicken salad and corn on the cob. In the spirit of trying new things, I found recipes that put a twist on these classics. 


In keeping with the avocado theme, I tried this recipe for Avocado Chicken Salad. It peaked my interest since I couldn't remember ever having chicken salad that included avocado. And that's a darn shame because this was yumm-o! This one will definitely get a home in the recipe box. We have ourselves a keeper.






Since it was the weekend and I had a little more time, I cooked the chicken in the crockpot while I was out running errands. By the time I was ready to cook, the chicken literally fell apart and was perfect for shredding. Since the recipe didn't have measurements, I just started adding the ingredients until it tasted right. I loved it because it still tasted like the chicken salad I've always enjoyed, but it had these new flavors in the background that made it different. Next time, I'll definitely add some almond slivers...I think they would be an excellent addition. I ended up eating it on its own, but it would be great on a sandwich, with crackers or even pita bread. I'm sure I'll be partaking in leftovers this week.


As a side item, I attempted this interesting recipe for Mexican Street Corn. Part of me thought this would be delicious and part of me thought it was a sin to mess with good ol' corn on the cob. I figured it was worth a shot. So, I have to say the different flavors went well together in some weird way. The main problem was that I screwed up cooking the corn. I only had frozen on hand, so I boiled it on the stove and may or may not have lost track of how long it had been cooking. It turned out mushy and in case you have any doubt, mushy corn on the cob is not appetizing. I'm going to have to try this one again and I'll probably buy fresh corn and roast in the oven like the recipe suggests...and also use that timer thingy on the stove :)



Chicken Salad Rating: 4.5
Corn Rating: 3 (lower rating is my own fault)

Music Selection: Maroon 5's Hands All Over

No comments:

Post a Comment